Wednesday, August 12, 2020

PREP & PLAN

 Verity is the Spice of Life!

Convenience is part of the planning.  If you can save steps and stay on your budget, your planning will be easier.  Caught these on sale at a local grocery. They will be a lifesaver planning for this week's meals.  Visit your local Farmers Market you can pick up veggies in season at reasonable prices.  



Meal Prep is not Scary!

Don't panic!  You don't have to cook for a month!  My philosophy is cook once, eat twice.  If I am going to rattle those pots and pans, I make it worth my while.  I don't have to cook for a family any longer, so I have scaled down my recipes.  Most recipes are for two to four servings.  This gives me verity in my meals and allows me to freeze extra meals without filling up my freezer to overflowing. 
Well, almost!

Freezer



Storage of Food

Lets talk about storing your extra food.  The better you store it, the better it will taste.  Good containers are worth the purchase.  They come in all shapes and sizes.  The ones I use are for the small amounts I cook.  Above in freezer are 1 cup plastic containers.  I also have 2 cup containers.

Below the small rectangular container  measures about 4 1/2" W x 7" L x 2" T.  I believe it's a 24 oz container.  

Picture 1 Contains Hamberger (1/4 lb) & Green Beans (1 cup) with Grape Tomatoes Olives and Slivered Almonds

Picture 2 Contains 3 bags of precooked chicken at 1/4 pound each bag 


PICTURE 1



PICTURE 2

Pre-cooked Chicken (1/4 lb each bag)


Preparing the Chicken 



Take chicken breast or thighs or chicken tenders cut in bites size pieces.  Arrange on a sheet pan the portions you want (I always weigh the food so I know the amount I am eating. These are 4 oz portions).  Place sheet pan under broiler and cook about 5 minutes.  Let cool and store.  

Please note these are NOT cooked through, they must continue to cook in whatever dish you are making.  I prepared the chicken this way because they froze it when I bought it and because I dislike to re-freeze raw meat.  By pre-cooking it you can safely store it for latter use without altering the taste or texture.

If they have not frozen the meat product, just portion it off as you like and then freeze it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MEALS