Friday, July 3, 2020

In The Beginning


I created this blog as a journal of sorts. In a never-ending struggle to lose these extra pounds, I have finally found a plan that is working and not making me crazy. Cooking is one of my creative outlets, and I needed a place to share healthy recipes. After joining TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), I decided to follow their recommend a program which is a basic balanced diet based on the America Diabetic Association. No food is taboo, the only action required is you eat a healthy and balanced meal and portion control. Logging what you consume is very important "AKA" journaling. There are several apps to choose from I use "SparkPeople" it is free and easy to use. It allows you to track everything, food, weight, exercise, measurements. From my kitchen to yours. Hope you enjoy!

Disclamer

I am not a medical professional! Please check with your doctor before starting ANY diet. All information in this blog is strictly for my reference.  It is a way for me to motivate myself and keep me accountable.  A place I can track my progress and post my recipes.

Eating a Balanced Diet:

What is a balanced diet? There are seven parts that makeup a balanced diet: carbs, protein, fat, fibre, vitamins, minerals and water. These parts supply our bodies with the essentials it needs to keep us healthy. I will concentrate on just the first five, carbs, protein, fat, fiber. Together they add up to the calories we consume.  To lose the extra weight we have accumulated, we must get back to the basics, the balanced diet.

Checking on the USDA site and the American Diabetes Association site, I found information that was useful. The USDA and American Diabetes Association use the Plate Plan. Using a 9" plate, divide it in half this section contains non-starchy Veggies (cooked or raw) and Fruit. Then divide the other half of the plate, 1/4 for protein (no large than a deck of cards) and the other 1/4 for whole grain, legumes, whole wheat pasta (1/4 cup).  I 'm not diabetic, but I am following the American Diabetes guidelines of eating 30-40 carbs a meal. Yes, you read it correctly! After years of Atkins and Keto diets, and Paleo diets this is quite a change for me. After two weeks eating this way, I have lost seven pounds. No cravings! Eating a balanced diet gives your body everything it needs and you don't crave. My calorie range is 1200 to 1400 calories a day. Using a smaller plate (6”) helps. I drink between 90 - 120 oz of water each day. Mobility is an issue for me, but I do chair exercises a couple times a week.

Cooking is one of my favorite things. I love to create new recipes. The following are meals and recipes I have created or altered to fit my way of eating. Let get cooking! 

Please note: The MEALS listed in the post are meals I have eaten on my program. They are not necessarily, the meals I had for that day. I purpose of this blog was to list meals I have had, so I can refer back to them. There are times I have the same breakfast or lunch a few days in a row before I change it up. This would make for boring post. So when you calculate the meals on the post they might be well over/under my daily calorie allowance. Just wanted to clear that up.


My Kitchen! This is where the magic happens!



No comments:

Post a Comment

MEALS